Breathing exercises: why do it?
Taking deep, rhythmical breaths sends a message to your brain to calm down. It can move the brain into restorative alpha waves which make you feel awake, relaxed, and ready for whatever task lies ahead.
How do you do it?
- Sit with your feet flat on the floor and your hands resting on your thighs.
- Take a deep breath in through your nose for a count of 3.
- Let the breath out through your mouth for a count of 3.
- Keep that rhythm going.
- Shift your focus to your breathing. Imagine your breathe out as tension leaving your body.
- If thoughts come to your mind just let them go and turn your concentration back to your breath.
- Keep your in breath and your out breath the same length.
If you are struggling to concentrate on your breathing then this video is great (Breathing Triangle Video). It provides a visual aid which you can follow and match your breathing to.
Phoenix Health & Wellbeing is a Charity. We provide support, in the form of counselling and complementary therapies to people who have chronic health issues and low incomes. By taking part in our fund raising event you will be helping us with this charitable work.
Monday to Thursday from 10:00 to 20:00
Friday and Saturday from 10:00 to 16:00
Book your massage via our website or call 0113 234 0818 to speak to one of the team