Manual Lymphatic Drainage and how it can help you?
Manual Lymphatic Drainage is a type of massage that can help to boost the detoxification process in your body.
If you have been feeling tired and sluggish or wake up feeling unrefreshed from a good night’s sleep it might be down to your lymphatic system being a little on the weary side!
The lymphatic system is made up of a network of very fine capillaries, clusters of nodes and glands. Fluid containing infection fighting antibodies, waste cells and other toxins flow around this system. The fluid moves by muscle movement. It isn’t pumped around like blood in the circulation system.
The whole system forms a really important part of your immune system so another indicator that things are a little slow in the lymphatic department is if you get repeated colds or bugs.
A Manual Lymphatic Drainage treatment?
A manual lymphatic drainage massage is usually a full body treatment and is very gentle. The lymphatic fluid should drain into fine tubes called lymph vessels. The drainage points are generally just below the skin. So, to move lymphatic fluid the therapist needs to warm and move the skin without impacting deep tissue.
The techniques used in this treatment involve massaging with very gentle upward and circular strokes to encourage the fluid to move into vessels. These techniques result in a treatment that is extremely soothing and deeply relaxing.
It is important that you visit a therapist who is fully qualified in this treatment as it requires knowledge about the correct techniques and about the direction of flow of the lymphatic system. Done incorrectly it can move lymphatic fluid away from the correct nodes and glands.
Make sure the therapist is fully qualified, insured and a member of a professional body such as the Federation of Holistic Therapists. (www.fht.org.uk)
How Manual Lymphatic Drainage can help you?
Lymphatic fluid isn’t pumped around the body but moves by muscle movement. If you spend a large part of your day in the same position such as sitting at a desk, then the fluid will not move as well as if you are more mobile.
Other factors such as stress, muscle tension, illness and injury can also cause lymphatic fluid to build up in areas of the body.
A specialised manual lymphatic drainage massage can help to overcome this build up by increasing the movement of the fluid.
Benefits of Manual Lymphatic Drainage Massage
- Helps to move lymphatic fluid around the body.
- Helps to increase the flow of toxins through the body and back to the organs that eliminate them such as the spleen and liver.
- Cleanses muscles and tissue by pulling toxins out of the tissue and pushing the fluid back to the organs of elimination.
- Helps to boost the immune system by increasing the circulation of antibodies that fight infection
- Fluid retention can result in weight gain. Manual lymphatic drainage massage can help with weight loss if this is the case.
- Improves blood circulation as well as drainage of lymphatic fluid
- Relieves pain and stiffness in areas where fluid retention is a problem.
- Relieves stress and stress-related conditions as it is a deeply soothing treatment.
- Can improve flexibility and increases the range of movement in areas affected by fluid retention.
Phoenix Health and Wellbeing (Leeds) Manual Lymphatic Drainage Massage
We offer wonderful Manual Lymphatic Drainage Massage treatments in a professional atmosphere in Leeds City Centre.
Manual Lymphatic Drainage Massage in Leeds city centre
Treatment Time and Cost
Monday to Thursday from 10:00 to 20:00
Friday and Saturday from 11:00 to 16:00
Book your massage at our professional Leeds City massage therapy rooms via our Online Reservations or click here to enquire via our Online form, or call us on 0113 234 0818. You can pay through PayPal, by card in person or with cash.
Phoenix Health & Wellbeing is also Charity. We use the proceeds of your massage treatment to subsidise those who have chronic health issues and low incomes and would not otherwise be able to access our therapies. Roughly £3 to every £10 spent with us will go to help others.